Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive performance problems
28-05-2022, 08:00 PM,
Massive performance problems
Good evening

Until yesterday, Friday, I was able to work with Swisslog without any problems. Since today I have been struggling with massive performance problems.

For example:
When I start Swisslog, it takes almost a minute until the first messages appear in the DX message window. There are also a lot of messages (CQ WW WPX Contest, CW) in the DX message.

Windows can only be moved with a lot of patience, menu items are highlighted when I move the mouse over them but I have to click the mouse several times until there is a reaction.

And sometimes the programme does not react at all and I have to close it via Task Manger. In the Task Manager I notice that the Swisslog Task under Power Consumption is "Very High". No idea why and what that means.

I have created a new SwissIV5.INI file and reconfigured everything. Nevertheless, the performance problems are still there.
I am using the latest beta version with the date 5.5.2022.

I have no idea and I am at a loss as to why I am having these performance problems today.

73 de Christof
HB9TZU
28-05-2022, 08:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-05-2022, 08:33 PM by HB9TZU.)
RE: Massive performance problems
Hello

I am now pretty sure that the active cluster of VE7CC-1 was the cause of these performance problems. It is now deactivated.

I have now activated the cluster of HB9DRV-9 and can work with Swisslog without problems.

Is it possible that the large number of incoming cluster messages in the WWW WPX CW contest on VE7CC can cause such performance problems?

73 de Christof HB9TZU
28-05-2022, 11:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-05-2022, 11:13 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Christof,

I use VE7CC as source for Spots. The DX message window has an issue and in a high traffic scenario freezes Swisslog. Although I tried to solve this in previous versions and it's working bette, if you don't filter spots in the DX message Windows you will still get issues. I highly recommend to set the selection criteria to worked, need and New and avoid the default All option. This way the DX window message will only show spots you really need. I also suggest you to use Band Maps which offer a graphical view and other interesting funcions and don't have this peformance issues.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
29-05-2022, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-05-2022, 10:12 AM by EI4KF.)
(28-05-2022, 11:12 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Christof,

I use VE7CC as source for Spots. The DX message window has an issue and in a high traffic scenario freezes Swisslog. Although I tried to solve this in previous versions and it's working bette, if you don't filter spots in the DX message Windows you will still get issues. I highly recommend to set the selection criteria to worked, need and New and avoid the default All option. This way the DX window message will only show spots you really need. I also suggest you to use Band Maps which offer a graphical view and other interesting funcions and don't have this peformance issues.

Best 73

May I also add that it helps greatly to filter on the DX Cluster output (which is the input to Swisslog). So, unless you really want to see DX Spots of every single DXCC entity, it makes sense to stop those you don't want from ever reaching Swisslog. For example I do not want to see EU Spots except from 1A, HV and SV/A. With any CC Cluster such as VE7CC this is so easy. Download CC User software, ensure Swisslog is not connected to VE7CC-1 and use CC User to connect to it temporarily. Then in the CC User Country Tab, set to reject all DX Country you don't want and press 'Tell Cluster'. Disconnect and reconnect via Swisslog. All those 100s of useless Spots that caused performance issues will no longer be reaching Swisslog. Not only will Swisslog be smoother but you won't have to peer through a forest of junk to see the DX Spots that interest you.

73 de Erik
29-05-2022, 09:38 AM,
Hello Christof,

Yes it's a very nice tool because you are filtering on the Telnet server side. I remember I used time ago. Thank you for posting the very useful info!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
29-05-2022, 02:24 PM,
Good day

Many thanks to Jordi and Erik for your feedback.

I have now applied Erik's tip and it works wonderfully.
Again I learned something new, thanks Erik

73 de Christof HB9TZU
30-05-2022, 08:36 AM,
You are welcome, Christof.

I had some emails asking what can be done if the Cluster that Swisslog is connected to needs filters but is not a CC Cluster. In the case of AR-Clusters my applied filter is one where I do not want to see Spots of European stations and I do want to see Spots from European Spotters only. The filter command for this is:

Set dx filter (cont=AS or cont=OC or cont=AF or cont=NA or cont=SA) and spottercont=EU

Obviously make variations to suit yourself. The user guide to AR-Cluster can be found online as can the one for DX-Spider Clusters and formulating a filter is easy enough.

A tip: once you have a working filter command, copy and save it to a text file. CC Clusters never 'forget' their settings but AR-Clusters and DX-Spiders sometimes reset and wipe out the filter. With it saved somewhere, it is easy to reapply it.

73 de Erik.
06-06-2022, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2022, 02:08 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello,

Let me remind you that you can send any command in the input script of the Telnet connection. This is very useful to set fixed filters and avoid sending them manually once the connection has been established. Simply edit the server you connect in the Telnet control window and add this line in the Input script part (following the example from Erik):

/S Set dx filter (cont=AS or cont=OC or cont=AF or cont=NA or cont=SA) and spottercont=EU

I suggest to read the chapter Internet and Telnet > Telnet and IRC Support > The Telnet Control Window you will find in the Swisslog help.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV