Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sporadic error new QSO
16-05-2022, 09:07 PM,
sporadic error new QSO
I am quite often do FT8-QSOs by using wsjt-z
Since months I have the sporadic issue, that access errors are popping up and swisslog is not logging any more. Have to restart Swisslog.
For other reasons I have change the configuration a little bit and found out:

In wsjt-z and Swisslog I had activated QRZ for searching the callsign in the Internet database. (I have the subscription there).
After changing in Swisslog to HAMQTH not one of this errors came up. Is now running without those errors for 3 days.

Seems this is happened if two programs are searching for the callsign. But wsjt-z has not this problem, is still running without such or equal erros.

Maybe this info is helpful to find the root cause?

Attached a view error popups from last year.

73 Roland DK4RH

Attached Files
.pdf   SwissLog-Fehler.pdf (Size: 43,92 KB / Downloads: 3)
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
17-05-2022, 01:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-05-2022, 01:33 AM by EA3GCV.)
RE: sporadic error new QSO
Hello Roland,

You don't need to activate the QRZ searching in wsjt-z. Your logging software is Swisslog and is Swisslog who has to know the info from QRZ. Probably there is a conflict if two applications are requesting to QRZ the same information. Disable the QRZ access in WSJT-Z. You won't miss any info because Swisslog will fill out all fields from QRZ and QSO will be logged properly.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
17-05-2022, 10:48 PM,
Hello Jordi,
it is not for logging, more trying to get QSOs in decicated countries or US-States. Those can used 'internal' in wsjt-z.
But currently I do not use it, so have switched it of.

From the program it makes me a little bit wondering, that there is no errorhandler for such an situation. So the info was to find a little bit to make the software again a little bit better ;-)
But thanks for answer!
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
18-05-2022, 10:47 PM,
Hello Roland,

Swisslog implement an errorhandler if something goes wrong with the QRZ request. Try to lower the timeout in the Callbook options to see if it's solved. Also add exceptions to the Swislsog fand WSJT-Z folders in your antivirus and also to the executables in your firewall. Maybe your antivirus / firewall is blocking or interfering (unfortunately very common issue!). Adding exceptions is the best to ensure all will work as designed.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
21-05-2022, 08:07 AM,
Hi Jordi,
thanks. In the meantime where I have only activated search for Callsign in QRZ: Error messages comes up also (without activation in wsjt-z).
Timeout was 2 sec. Have increased it to 10 sec.
I use the internal Defender of Windows-11. Seems I can't adjust folders there.
I will report if increasing of timeout work...
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
22-05-2022, 10:54 PM,
Hello Roland,

Then I guess Defender or Windows Firewall is interfering Swisslog. You can add an exception in Defender either in W11 or W10. Review carefully the Defender settings or Google it to know how to do it. Please add also an exception to the Swisslog executable file (SwisslV5.exe) in your firewall for all your networks (private and public). but this should work withput any error.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
26-05-2022, 10:21 PM,
Hi Jordi,

had running it for a view days with CallDB=HAMQTH. Changed it to QRZ and in the evening the error came again.
Have just done the configuration for Defender and Firewall. Hope it will work.
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
31-05-2022, 01:11 AM,
Hi Jordi,

sorry to write that - error came again.
wsjt-z: No qrz.com to search for callsign was activated
Exception for SwissV5.exe activated for Defender and Firewall.

I was watching the PC, when this error came up. What makes my wonder: It came up after a sequence of CQ-Calls (here no Callsign is given, means it has not to be searched). After those period wsjt-x changed to Auto Call - and with the first CallSign for answer the error came up.

I was able to restart SwissLog when the QSO was running. After the restart SwissLog accepted this (the same) CallSign and did the log without any errors.

A little bit I have the impression sometimes wsjt-x is sending a piece of information via UDP and SwissLog is going to this error.

vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
04-06-2022, 01:31 PM,
Hi Roland,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It's all very weird... Any user has reported me something similar and myself I use Swisslog every day with JTDX with no issues. I think I got a similar error once some time ago and I had to restart Swisslog. But I got it only once. If you have added the exceptions to Swisslog and WSJT-X either in your antivirus and firewall then I don't know which could be the reason. All users I know use WSJT-X, JTDX or MhSV not WSJT-Z. However the UDP protocol used by WSJT-Z should be the same as WSJT-X. I guess it has nothing to do with the QRZ lookup but the UDP communication. The only way to know the source of this error would be to disable the QRZ lookup and see if you get this error again. Or use WSJT-X or JTDX dome days to see if this happen.

Please let me know if you find out something which can drive me to solve this sporadic and weird case.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
07-06-2022, 09:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 04:47 PM by dk4rh.)
Hi Jordi

have changed the configuration in Swisslog (Option -> Digi Modes -> WSJT-X ...)
Before wsjtz was on first place. Have changed it to a place log only.
As least for 3 days it is working without issues. And for wsjtx usage it is not important to see details of the OM already during the QSO...

Only small issue is - the UDP-Button become not automagically green after starting Swisslog and wsjtz. Have to push the button twice, then it is green (and working).

Maybe it help other OM as workaround and/or a little bit to locate the issue.

I will give an info, if the sporadic issue come up also in this configuration.

... Later on: Have seen - even I let the UDP-Button red logging is working
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland