Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log entries slow to enter.
08-08-2021, 03:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2021, 12:54 PM by G4UGB.)
Log entries slow to enter.
Hello Jordi,

I hope this finds you and your family OK ??

Can I ask - I have started to have issues with my SWL. First it started again to display the green map - I cured that with your 'fix' from the last time. But then, SWL would start missing the map screen completely and it would take 10 seconds for it to load the map view. Plus it was taking 15 seconds or more to add a new entry into the logbook.

So, I uninstalled it and started again with a fresh installation. However - the issue has worsened. Now it loads without the QSO entry box and the world map - and then after 10 seconds - they both load up OK. However new log entries still take 10 seconds to enter into the logbook.

I tried saving the desktop when everything had loaded up - and started SWL again but - same results.

Any ideas ?? Running Windows 10 64 bit (latest Windows updates up to date) and SWL 5.102b.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.

*** EDIT: I uninstalled SWL again - and attempted to reinstall it. It refuses giving me the error message 'The code execution cannot proceed because KBHOOK.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem'. But - I cannot reinstall because this error keeps appearing. So I have no SWL installation at all now. Help please.

*** Edit Managed to reinstall SWL and all seems OK now. Watch this space !!!

*** Spoke too soon. Log entries stutter and take too long to register. Cannot resolve this one without some help please Jordi ??

Kindest Regards,

Richard G4UGB
08-08-2021, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 04:38 PM by G4UGB.)
RE: Log entries slow to enter.
Hello Jordi,

Seems there are further issues with the log database - there is an entry in the log I wish to delete and it refuses to do so - gives me the error message 'Fatal Error: No QSO found' yet - the entry is clearly displayed in the Logbook view.

*** Edit: That particular problem seems to have now cured itself with a restart of SWL.

Kindest Regards,

Richard G4UGB
11-08-2021, 12:09 PM,
Hello Richard,

If you use World Map, by default world map is updated automatically after saving or editing a QSO to reflect changes. Depending your computer this function may slow down a lot the logging operation. So simply go to the MAP menu and uncheck the Update map automatically option. Obviously if you work a new DXCC/Grid it won't be displayed on the map correctly until you refresh map.

Remember to add exceptions to Swisslog in your antivirus and firewall and also compress database from time to time. This will improve the overall performance.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
11-08-2021, 02:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2021, 03:47 PM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

Thank you for the reply.

I've never suffered with any lagging of QSO log entries previously - the PC is Intel i7 CPU based with 16GB RAM - SWL has (apart from the odd glitch now and again) performed flawlessly as regards start up and logging. However - I have unchecked the 'Update map automatically' as you have suggested and will see what happens.

I logged a new entry but - the delay persisted. After I fill in the log details and hit the return key - the entry appears sometimes almost immediately in the logbook but as often as not - the timer icon appears and it takes several seconds to register in the log book entry. I upload to ClubLog real time - but I also unchecked that to see if it was that, that was causing the issue. But no change. So I still have this most annoying logging delay Jordi.

Thank you again for your reply and help.

*** EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention that SWL is already excluded in Firewall and anti-virus setups.

Kind Regards,

Richard G4UGB
12-08-2021, 12:33 PM,
Hello Richard,

Have you compressed your database? This is very important for larger logbooks and user should force this from time to time to improve overall performance. Review also to uncheck the Update view automatically if you have a logbook view open. If you have the "logbook with all fields (slow)" open, refreshing a large logbook may take a while after saving. Do you have many Quick statistic views? By default, Swisslog automatically refreshes all views after saving to reflect changes. In older computers this can add an extra delay when saving but your computer is modern and exceed Swisslog hardware requirements.

Please review all this and let me know but there are no other options to improve. I use an first generation i7 from 2007 with 8Gb RAM and uploading realtime to all logbook views with no delays, maybe 3-4 seconds.

If your hard disk is not an SSD, defrag your hard disk and check your system if you have a trojan or something that could be affecting the system performance. If you are still in trobules I would need to check remotely via Teamviewer but disabling all this it's not normal you still have it.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
14-08-2021, 04:14 PM,
Hello Jordi,

Thank you again.

Yes the database is compressed - it prompts me now and again to compress it and I always do that.

Refresh View Automatically' was checked - I unchecked it. (But I have never changed that option since starting with SWL).

'Logbook with all fields (slow)' - I cannot locate that setting to check it ??

Quickstat only has two definitions set.

The hard drive is an SSD (lots of space available) and no drive errors have been reported via the system.

I'll check the next log entry after changing the 'Refresh View Automatically' and see if that has made any changes.

No - same delay - it takes 10 seconds after I hit the 'save' button until the little timer icon disappears and the entry appears in the logbook.

Any other tips you might have Jordi - I'd be grateful for !!

Kindest Regards,

Richard G4UGB
14-08-2021, 05:00 PM,
(14-08-2021, 04:14 PM)G4UGB Wrote: 'Logbook with all fields (slow)' - I cannot locate that setting to check it ??

To check which logbook is being used, go to View>Logbook View (last) (its name will be in the title bar)

To locate logbook with all fields (slow): View>Logbook View (Selection)>Queries>logbooks.  It should be listed there.

But it sounds as though you are not using it.
14-08-2021, 05:07 PM,
Hi,

Because you are using the logbook view with all fields (you don't really need this unless you want to do something special and you need all fields,) mouse right click on the view then uncheck "Refresh view automatically". I suggest to use another logbook view such "Logbook view with DXCC, zones and Mi QTH" which has less fields and will go faster. I'm sure this is the issue. The more fields in the logbook view the more time needed to refresh! Use another view and you would be able to refresh with no delays.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
15-08-2021, 12:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-08-2021, 01:09 AM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

OK thank you.

In the 'View>Logbook View (Selection)>Queries>logbooks' - 'Logbook ALL Fields (slow) spq' was indeed highlighted. I never changed that in fact - I have never been into that part of the menu at all. First time I have ever seen it !! But - that selection was indeed highlighted.

So I set it to 'Logbook with DXCC Zones and My QTH spq' as you suggested.

BINGO !! You solved it - thank you Jordi. Instant write to the logbook and now no delay whatsoever. But now my logbook fields/columns look a bit different - so am re-organising the layout columns to suit.

Again - thank you very much indeed. But as to how that logbook parameter changed - I really do not know. I don't fiddle with things I know nothing about !!

*** EDIT: Sorry to report Jordi - the delay has re-started. My logbook selection is shown as 'Logbook with DXCC, Zones and My QTH' and initially - it did write a log entry immediately to the logbook. But I restarted SWL to ensure that logbook loaded on startup. It did but in the 'View>Logbook View (Selection)>Queries>logbooks' - the logbook 'Logbook ALL Fields (slow)' remains highlighted ??

Kindest Regards,

Richard G4UGB
15-08-2021, 02:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-08-2021, 02:58 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Richard,

Most important thing is to disable the "Refresh view automatically" in the logbook view (pop up menu with mouse right click). Disable this and it should work well. Your issue comes from the logbook view refreshing. How many QSOs do you have in your logbook?

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV