Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flex Radio connection
20-07-2021, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-07-2021, 09:26 PM by EI4KF.)
Flex Radio connection
Does anyone on here have a Flex 6000 series radio and can help me interface it with Swisslog please?

My 6400M was away for repair when Jordi made improvements in Swisslog for connecting to a Flex using the Flex API. I have the radio back now but cannot connect without a convoluted struggle.

My radio IP is as above. It is directly connected to the computer hence the local link address. SmartSDR, CAT, DAX, SDR-Bridge, FRStack, and so on all connect to the radio. But not Swisslog.

If I input the radio IP into Swisslog, it will not start. I get an error box come up with " is not a valid integer value. If I make Swisslog search for the address, running Swisslog as Administrator, it will sometimes  eventually find the IP - but it takes a very long time, about 3 minutes and the address it finds is the same as I had manually entered anyway. It will then connect sometimes, other times just lock up. But on the next Swisslog launch it again does not start and I have to search the IP again. Sometimes though the IP is not found and Swisslog locks up.

At the moment I have rolled back a few versions because that one does connect providing the Flex IP does not change. As I have it now, the IP does not change so that version is ok.

So, anyone using the latest Swisslog with Flex can explain what to do please because I understand nothing.

Erik EI4KF.
20-07-2021, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-07-2021, 10:09 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Flex Radio connection
Hello Erik,

I have uploaded a new beta correcting a similar error but this happened with Kenwood TS-890S and was related to the S-Meter function. However, try the new beta.

I guess an antivirus/firewall blocking. The proof of this is the long time it takes to search automatically the IP address. If the IP address doesn't change often, set it manually and avoid to run as administrator. It's very important you add exceptions to Swisslog, SmartSDR, SmartCAT and all its associated programs in your firewall, allowing all outgoing/incoming communications. Also add exceptions in your antivirus. Smart SDR uses a different folder on every version so make sure you add the exceptions for your current SmartSDR version.

I tested the Flex Radio interface thoroughly with a couple of different Flex Radio units and worked like a charm.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
20-07-2021, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-07-2021, 10:36 PM by EI4KF.)
(20-07-2021, 09:58 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

I have uploaded a new beta correcting a similar error but this happened with Kenwood TS-890S and was related to the S-Meter function. However, try the new beta.

I guess an antivirus/firewall blocking... It's very importat you add exceptions to Swisslog, SmartSDR, SmartCAT and all associated programs in your firewall, allowing all outgoing/incoming communications. Also add exceptions in your antivirus. Smart SDR uses a different folder on every version so make sure you add the exceptions for your current SmartSDR version.

I tested the Flex Radio interface thoroughly with a couple of different Flex Radio units and worked like a charm.

Best 73

Hello Jordi,

It does not work here even with the latest beta. I have all exceptions, firewall and antivirus added. I have found how it can work but it is no good for me. If after starting SmartSDR I then run Swisslog next it will connect. But if I start another program that connects to the radio, FRStack or SDR-Bridge it does not connect. I think the couple of different Flex radio units that you tested with did not try it with other software already connected to th radio before Swisslog. In this case it does not work. Unfortunately for me, I need FRStack running after SmartSDR because it controls my StreamDeck which interfaces with SmartSDR. So Swisslog has to run second and it does not connect. Back a few versions, before you introduced the search IP feature it does connect, although that version relies on the radio IP never changing. So I am back on that one for now.

UPDATE: all the above is valid when a local link (ethernet direct from radio to computer) is used, giving the 169.254.2.124 radio IP. I have found that if I bridge connections in Windows between ethernet and WiFi so that the radio gets an IP on my router's subnet 192.168.0.xxx, then Swisslog will connect no matter its position starting. So that is good. It does mean though that I must start the router before I start the Flex and the computer. I did not used to at night when I often operate without internet so I'll have to try to remember to put it on. Perhaps the Flex units tested also were not using a local link.

So, really Swisslog needs to behave like any other 3rd party Flex software. But I think you did your best with this already, even contacting Flex themselves, so I guess I shall have to live with it. At least with the latest Beta, I no longer get the integer value error so that is good.

Erik.

Erik.
21-07-2021, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-07-2021, 02:19 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Erik,

Glad that you finally found out the reason! It's much better to allow your radio to get the IP from your router's DHCP instead of attaching radio directly into the computer (as you did before). This is the normal scenario I have tested all the times. I found out a long thread having certain issues on 169.254 IP's as well:

https://community.flexradio.com/discussi...ot-working

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
21-07-2021, 08:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-07-2021, 10:36 AM by EI4KF.)
(21-07-2021, 01:54 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

Glad that you finally found out the reason! It's much better to allow your radio to get the IP from your router's DHCP instead of attaching radio directly into the computer (as you did before). This is the normal scenario I have tested all the times. I found out a long thread having certain issues on 169.254 IP's as well:

https://community.flexradio.com/discussi...ot-working

Best 73

Hello Jordi

The thread you refer to is for a Flex radio without a front panel. In these, the IP can be set to Static. When DHCP is used, I cannot make Swisslog behave like all other Flex radio 3rd party applications. Yesterday the front panel IP was 192.168.0.101 and today it is 192.168.0.100, I think because a tablet computer on the network yesterday is not present today. I had a lot of trouble this morning getting Swisslog to connect. All other software did but not Swisslog. A manual change of IP in Swisslog did not work and neither did the automatic search. That just did nothing.

I also think, and I might be wrong, that any change of IP address written into the box on the transceiver interface in Swisslog does not take effect until Swisslog is closed and restarted. Perhaps you could check it please? I was on the verge of giving up with Swisslog and using FRLogger which always connects, closed Swisslog and thought to try once more and it did connect. One reason I think Swisslog does not really accept a manual entry of the IP until restarted is that if I check the radio IP and then write that address into the Swisslog ini file, when I start Swisslog it immediately connects. But if I just start Swisslog and it does not connect, writing the IP manually into the box and pressing start does nothing.

The absolute solution would be to connect the radio by cable direct to the modem, thus not requiring the W10 bridge. But my radio room is at the opposite end of the house to the router and therefore I have to connect to the computer which in turn connects to the router by WiFi. I think true DHCP from the router would work as you say. But my DHCP comes from the computer because of the bridge and, although that makes no difference for all other Flex 3rd party software, Swisslog does not work properly.  

Meanwhile, I am open to any further suggestions from any Swisslog user with a Flex radio. As it stands, I need to boot the radio and start all software without any time-losing glitches and I do not have that. 

Erik.
22-07-2021, 02:50 AM,
Hello Erik,

I have revised the Flex Radio code and I have fixed some things that should solve this issue. Please download and replace this executable file:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Erik/SwisslV5.exe

I coded to always try the automatic detection at startup regardless the IP set by user. This was very useful in case DHCP server changed the IP address. If automatic detection failed, then user IP was used. This worked perfectly under DHCP scenarios (regular scenario) but not in your specific case. That's the reason it took too much time at start up or even locked up. Now automatic detection will only happen if user presses the "Search IP automatically" button from the transceiver control options (and Swisslog is running as administrator). But Swisslog will try the connection through the IP set by user, as it was before. The automatic detection must be forced on demand by user. Once detected it must Start transceiver control.

Please let me know the results.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
22-07-2021, 09:28 AM,
(22-07-2021, 02:50 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

I have revised the Flex Radio code and I have fixed some things that should solve this issue. Please download and replace this executable file:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Erik/SwisslV5.exe

I coded to always try the automatic detection at startup regardless the IP set by user. This was very useful in case DHCP server changed the IP address. If automatic detection failed, then user IP was used. This worked perfectly under DHCP scenarios (regular scenario) but not in your specific case. That's the reason it took too much time at start up or even locked up. Now automatic detection will only happen if user presses the "Search IP automatically" button from the transceiver control options (and Swisslog is running as administrator). But Swisslog will try the connection through the IP set by user, as it was before. The automatic detection must be forced on demand by user. Once detected it must Start transceiver control.

Please let me know the results.

Best 73

Hello Jordi,

I have installed the new beta. I did not even have to go to the Transceiver Control Interface. I launched Swisslog and it connected to my Flex immediately. I suppose I shall need to test under real use scenarios like starting the radio and computer after something else has joined the network but seeing that previously I could not make Swisslog connect at all, this is looking very good.

Thank you very much!

Erik.
22-07-2021, 10:45 AM,
Hello Erik,

I tested yesterday remotely with a Flex and found out some small bugs so glad it's working well now! I did some small changes later so please download this latest exe:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/EI4KF/SwisslV5.exe

You can test the automatic IP detection in the transceiver control interface (for testing purposes only). If Flex Radio is connected directly to the router the detection is very fast. Maybe in your case it will take long to detect it. Let me know the results of your test. Remember that after changing IP manually or detecting IP automatically, you need to press the START button.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
22-07-2021, 11:54 AM,
(22-07-2021, 10:45 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

I tested yesterday remotely with a Flex and found out some small bugs so glad it's working well now! I did some small changes later so please download this latest exe:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/EI4KF/SwisslV5.exe

You can test the automatic IP detection in the transceiver control interface (for testing purposes only). If Flex Radio is connected directly to the router the detection is very fast. Maybe in your case it will take long to detect it. Let me know the results of your test. Remember that after changing IP manually or detecting IP automatically, you need to press the START button.

Best 73

Hello Jordi

I now have the latest beta. It connects immediately as before. The automatic detection works, it takes about 80 seconds. It did not work at all in previous versions so really 80 seconds is nothing - you just have to know to wait and not abort. Maybe this should be written into the Help file for information.

73 de Erik.
22-07-2021, 01:43 PM,
Hello Erik,

It's weird... connecting Flex to a router detects it in less than one second. I will add a note that connecting the Flex directly to the computer may take up to 2 minutes. It's obvious that a router handles much better a network!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV