Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Version (5.102) Callbook change
30-06-2021, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-06-2021, 03:27 PM by MA3212SWL.)
New Version (5.102) Callbook change
"Corrected: nowadays many old callsigns have been assigned to new holders. So if you have a previous QSO with this callsign, the old name and QTH is set in the new QSO even if you read from Callbook databases. Now when reading from Callbook databases (and whenever you have set to fill out these fields automatilly), Swisslog will override operator, QTH, US State and County if it's different from the previous QSO. Old data stored in the Callbook table will be updated for such callsign."

Can this be turned off or made optional?

I have my online callbook look-up set to HamQTH. I have [painstakingly] been correcting and/or adding info to the "Station Details" tab for QSOs when the callbook has been wrong, incomplete or is out of date. For example adding operator names or nicknames if only initials are shown, correcting QTH locators when the callbook has a 'generic' one, adding or changing address when people have up to date info on QRZ etc.

This new change is now seemingly overwriting all my hard work often with old incorrect data or incomplete data. If I have manually entered information the program should automatically overwrite it without warning. It should at least highlight there is a difference between info stored from old QSO and that retrieved from the online callbook and give you the option of which one to use/keep.
30-06-2021, 05:19 PM,
RE: New Version (5.102) Callbook change
Hello,

I understand your point of view but it's very difficult to make all users happy! As it is now there is a way to do as you request: simply disable Automatic Copy from the Field copy instruction tab on the callbook options and force copying these fields manually from the Callbook tab in the QSO Entry window. This way when entering a callsign, all fields will be filled out from the info stored in your logbook. If void, you only have to go to the Callbook tab then press the Copy button to fill out empty fields. This way user choose the info stored from this QSO.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
30-06-2021, 06:26 PM,
OK, Thanks Jordi. I'll give that a try
30-06-2021, 07:17 PM,
(30-06-2021, 06:26 PM)MA3212SWL Wrote: OK, Thanks Jordi. I'll give that a try

I do not want to do that and neither do I want to lose historic data, especially for famous callsigns that have been reissued. 9N1MM is a current example. I could not believe Father Moran was replaced by 'Kalparna'. I fail to understand the logic. Long term Swisslog users not only value their data but value the heritage of amateur radio and the famous names that, if they were lucky, graced their logbooks. It seems bizarre that one of the best features of Swisslog, Automatic Copy, now has to be disabled. This is a retrograde step.
01-07-2021, 04:33 PM,
Hi all,

In fact, there is no need to disable automatic copy. It depends on user preference. If you want to keep the historic, simply uncheck the Name and QTH fields in the Field copy instruction tab on the callbook options, This way when you enter a callsign having a new holder then name and QTH will be set the same as it was saved in your previous QSOs. If you prefer to use new names then check these boxes. That's simple!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
01-07-2021, 06:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2021, 06:25 PM by EI4KF.)
(01-07-2021, 04:33 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi all,

In fact, there is no need to disable automatic copy. It depends on user preference. If you want to keep the historic, simply uncheck the Name and QTH fields in the Field copy instruction tab on the callbook options, This way when you enter a callsign having a new holder then name and QTH will be set the same as it was saved in your previous QSOs. If you prefer to use new names then check these boxes. That's simple!

Best 73

But then you do not get the most important Fields updated. So no it is not simple except that I have reverted to the previous version now. That works as it should - data is preserved, a vital attribute for any software, and manual entry of Name and QTH is not required which would in any case would be impossible with FT8 QSOs. 

Even more bizarre is that I have K4M in my log from Midway Island. But if I now work K4M that previous entry gets a QTH in Georgia, USA. The DXCC is preserved but the QSO entry reads Peachtree Corners, Midway Island. This was not properly thought through. In all previous versions the operator name and my QTH name of my 2009 QSO with K4M remains intact.

If ever common sense prevails, please let us know when it is safe to run newest versions. Thank you.
01-07-2021, 07:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2021, 07:01 PM by EA3GCV.)
Because I don't want any unhappy user, I have uploaded a beta of current version 5.102a reverting back this fix:

https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum...hp?tid=910

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
02-07-2021, 09:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 10:04 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi all,

I have just released version 5.102b reverting back this correction to the original state and with instructions for users wanting to keep latest info when a callsign has a new holder. This correction was suggested for some users but has caused lots of complaints. I hope this version will make all users happy. 

Now I need a good rest. This matter has been exhausting to me...

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
03-07-2021, 09:47 AM,
This certainly makes me a bit nervous. Can I safely upgrade without any fears that my 6 months project updating data from about 10 000 qsl cards, where the callsign holder has changed?

I don't want to change my settings for the callbook field-copy instructions.
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
03-07-2021, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2021, 10:31 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Tom,

Don't get nervious! This only happened in 5.102/5.102a which were released only 2 days ago. In order to replace data you should have worked in the last 2 days a station you previously worked and now having a new holder. This didn't modify all your QSOs in your logbook, only new QSOs under these specific circumstances. You don't need to change anything. Install 5.102b and all will be as it was before.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV