Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entry of QSOs - /P SOTAs with different QTH/Locators field
24-11-2020, 01:16 PM,
Entry of QSOs - /P SOTAs with different QTH/Locators field
Hi,
I’m quite new to Swisslog (abt 1 month) from (MixW user before) so I’m still trying to find my way to get all functions working here, which I have made it and happy with the setup so long, most tings up and working fine here.

However, I came across a problem when using the Entry of QSOs function specially for new SOTA calls, normally I don’t have an issue if it is a first new call /P and I add the qso/s with the Sota qth and locator and also on the SOTA field value I have created acc the help files (very good).
But when there are several records on the log with the same operator with same call + /P even when I change the QTH and all other fields I will get the message in new window that this is a new qth and seisslog advice new locator (which already is on) if I choose YES the SW will lock and making error and closes, if I choose NO with will log the qso with the info on it, so far so good, I found it works choosing no, never got it to work on YES Sad 
Now, the problem is that most cases with will be logged correct and not affecting the past record QSOs, but once in a while it will change the last recorded qso from the same operator with different qth and sota info, luckily I have also the sota info on the NOTES so I can go into the qso and change it, but again after update it will change again the last qso and the fields, I have managed sometimes to get all corrected but it seems like a bug, sometimes it will work fine other not. The window option that comes up to choose YES for new QTH function, doesn’t work here. Any idea what can be? 
I send some pics here...
Regards / 73,

Carlos Ferreira
Mob.: +47 467 64 769
LA9PJA / JW9PJA / CT1JML 

LI9PJA Ex: LB5ME
24-11-2020, 04:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2020, 04:22 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Entry of QSOs - /P SOTAs with different QTH/Locators field
Hello,

Swisslog keeps the field HOMEQTH the same way for the MYQTH: a new profile must be created for a new location of the QSO partner if it's the same callsign. For regular stations the default name is HOMEQTH. If working a portable station it will be /P, mobile stations /M etc. Swisslog handles this automatically. Let's see an example:

- First QSO with EA3GCV/P on SOTA EA3/BC-001. Swislsog will create the /P HomeQTH
- Second QSO with EA3GCV/P on SOTA EA3/BC-002. Because it's the same callsign but it's in another location (another SOTA) the proposed HomeQTH will be the SOTA reference EA3/BC-002.

By default Swisslog warns user that a new HomeQTH must be added for the QSO partner informing the proposed name in case user wants to change it. Really there is no reason to change it because Swisslog assigns a name according the reference changed from the latest location. So, the answer must always be YES unless you want to assign another name. If you reply NO you will overwrite the location info in all previous QSO with this station! So in this example you will assign EA3/BC-002 to the previous QSO which is wrong. You can disable this warning in the Options of the QSO Entry window (Issue warning if a new QTH is needed). I suggest to do this.

Once you know the reason of all this, now let's go to this issue. I have received very very few similar reports from users experiencing this strange issue. All of them have in common that they are using Windows 7. There are users using Windows 7 not having this issue at all but according to my experience it's something related to W7. Under Window 10 this don't happen.

So if you are using Windows 7 the only solution is to upgrade to Windows 10. Don't hesitate to do this, not only for Swisslog but Windows 10 it's faster, more secured and stable that any other previous version. You can upgrade directly into Windows 10 from Windows 7without losing anything. Maybe you will have to upgrade to the latest version of some programs and, of course, upgrade drivers but it should work perfectly. I know deeply all Windows OS since Windows 3.1 and believe me, you need to upgrade to W10.

In case you have Windows 10:

- Add an exception to Swisslog in your antivirus, firewall and any antimalware software. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- Make sure you have latest Windows version. Now it's 20H2 released on november. Check Windows updates.
- Try forcing Swisslog to run as administrator (mouse right click on the Swisslog icon, Properties > Compatibility > Run as administrator checkbox).

Let me know something.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
24-11-2020, 05:54 PM,
Hi Jordi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try your suggestions when I get home from work.
Also I see that my pictures didn’t get uploaded (probably to large hi hi).

Anyway you got the point, and it’s exactly probably due to my win/virus setup, I don’t have win 10 it’s a lower one, so I will try to have a look at it again and see if it will work after the changes.

Thanks again for the support.
Regards / 73,

Carlos Ferreira
LA9PJA / JW9PJA / CT1JML 

25-11-2020, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-11-2020, 11:00 AM by LA9PJA.)
(24-11-2020, 04:17 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello,

Swisslog keeps the field HOMEQTH the same way for the MYQTH: a new profile must be created for a new location of the QSO partner if it's the same callsign. For regular stations the default name is HOMEQTH. If working a portable station it will be /P, mobile stations /M etc. Swisslog handles this automatically. Let's see an example:

- First QSO with EA3GCV/P on SOTA EA3/BC-001. Swislsog will create the /P HomeQTH
- Second QSO with EA3GCV/P on SOTA EA3/BC-002. Because it's the same callsign but it's in another location (another SOTA) the proposed HomeQTH will be the SOTA reference EA3/BC-002.

By default Swisslog warns user that a new HomeQTH must be added for the QSO partner informing the proposed name in case user wants to change it. Really there is no reason to change it because Swisslog assigns a name according the reference changed from the latest location. So, the answer must always be YES unless you want to assign another name. If you reply NO you will overwrite the location info in all previous QSO with this station! So in this example you will assign EA3/BC-002 to the previous QSO which is wrong. You can disable this warning in the Options of the QSO Entry window (Issue warning if a new QTH is needed). I suggest to do this.

Once you know the reason of all this, now let's go to this issue. I have received very very few similar reports from users experiencing this strange issue. All of them have in common that they are using Windows 7. There are users using Windows 7 not having this issue at all but according to my experience it's something related to W7. Under Window 10 this don't happen.

So if you are using Windows 7 the only solution is to upgrade to Windows 10. Don't hesitate to do this, not only for Swisslog but Windows 10 it's faster, more secured and stable that any other previous version. You can upgrade directly into Windows 10 from Windows 7without losing anything. Maybe you will have to upgrade to the latest version of some programs and, of course, upgrade drivers but it should work perfectly. I know deeply all Windows OS since Windows 3.1 and believe me, you need to upgrade to W10.

In case you have Windows 10:

- Add an exception to Swisslog in your antivirus, firewall and any antimalware software. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- Make sure you have latest Windows version. Now it's 20H2 released on november. Check Windows updates.
- Try forcing Swisslog to run as administrator (mouse right click on the Swisslog icon, Properties > Compatibility > Run as administrator checkbox).

Let me know something.

Best 73

Hi Jordi,

I have checked the options you've mentioned. Since it's Win 7 Ultimate, there is no solution here than to update to Win 10 as you mention. I will not be able to do it right now as the support has ended and will not be buying full SW WIN 10 and will go back to MiwW. I will have a new laptoo after february 2021 and will then using the new platform with Swisslog.

Since all my 3 radio dedicated laptops all are using WIN 7 and are all tunned to Radio Shack, Radio Sota and so on with MixW and TNXLOG for SOTA it will be to much work to upgrade all and risk a crash and including the cost upgrade to WIN 10 Smile

I appreciate the help on this issue.

When this is said, I like Swisslog and the way it is, nice functions and much automation which saves me a lot of time on the LoTW/CL, EQSL management, but I have all of these on my MixW 4 as well. and working here, so I give it a try again after february when I get new PC with new Windows, Christmas is actually comming to LA9PJA  in 2020 Smile

I can also mentioned that changing this warning did not worked either, I would still get the warning. I did closed the SW, and even start up the PC and after would still get the warning.

-> You can disable this warning in the Options of the QSO Entry window (Issue warning if a new QTH is needed). I suggest to do this.

Jordi, thanks for he support and I will be back feb 2021 Smile hi hi hi
Regards / 73,

Carlos Ferreira
LA9PJA / JW9PJA / CT1JML 

25-11-2020, 12:55 PM,
Carlos.

A few months ago it was still possible to update free to Windows 10 from W7.  I don't know if this still works ...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-...0-upgrade/

Reg
25-11-2020, 01:32 PM,
Hi Reg, 

Thanks, checked that page earlier today and didn't get it to work, but just tried it again and it seems that it might be possible, will give it a try, just need to clean up some  disk space  hi hi Smile

Regards / 73,

Carlos Ferreira
LA9PJA / JW9PJA / CT1JML 

26-11-2020, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-11-2020, 12:31 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Carlos,

Apply the solutions I mentioned for W10. If still fails try by adding an exception to the Swisslog executable file in DEC (Date Execution Prevention) in Windows 7. Read the full article on this link (especially the section How To Configure Or Turn Off DEP):

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows...p-windows/

It solved some weird issues in other users having Windows 7.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
30-11-2020, 05:51 PM,
Hi Jordi,

Back in business, been busy at work and updating windows on my laptops. 
I did downloaded the Win10 on my main pc and the SOTA PC, the main PC still not working due to some crash with innstallation btw Win7 and new WIn10 but working on it, so hoppefully will be getting it work again otherwise I have another latop ready and working with Win 10 ( I have 7pcs Smile ).

However I have innsatalled  the Swisslog on my SOTA PC just to test it if all is working conercing the SOTA callsigns and QTH as discuss earlier on this thread.

I can confirm that it's working now fine with WIN 10 and I don't get any problems with it when adding or changing the SOTA ref/Locator or QTH, I get the window asking if I want to change it (YES) and then it gets updatet and that's it, no conflicts as before with Win7.

So working fine here now, so my problem (IT ticket) is closed Smile for now!

Now, back into main Radio PC to update the issues on the crash btw Win7 and Win10.

Again, tnx for the good help on this issue, and also to Reg G3WPF for the Win10 link, worked fine here Smile

Case closed!

Best 73
Regards / 73,

Carlos Ferreira
LA9PJA / JW9PJA / CT1JML 

30-11-2020, 08:23 PM,
Glad the W10 link worked Carlos.

Reg
G3WPF