Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connection to jAlert lost
13-09-2020, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-09-2020, 05:14 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: connection to jAlert lost
Hello all,

Erik: in fact, if all is working well, all the settings changes during the UDP link are performed in a "transparent" way for the user because when the link is deactivated or JTDX is closed these 3 settings should be set as it was before the UDP link. This is the way I programmed it. I hope now with latest changes there won't be errors on this part. However, computing is not 100% reliable and maybe happen a crash or something that can change these settings, although I tried to solve all kind of scenarios in the code. But it's important for users experiencing this (as in your case) to know how to solve this by simply closing and opening the QSO Entry window.

Roland: thank you for the comments! I have checked in the code and HamCall password is URL encoded so it should work with special characters. I would need to do checkings online to try to solve this (I don't have a HamCall license to test). But if you have solve it by changing the "(" it's a perfect solution!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
15-09-2020, 01:09 AM,
Hi, hanging situation was just ago.
Do not know if it is related to this...
Have downloaded and installed the Beta Version 10am UTC (2020-09-14).
Still here Callsign Online-DB HamCall is active.

Think related to Beta a little bit other symtoms. RST both stayed before on 599, yet on 0. And Mode was before RTTY, yet FT8.

Not tested before, idea came up just jet. Have deactivated in QSO-Window the UDP-Connection. Those gone correctly from green to red. Than tried to activate - it stay red. Only the buttom stay for one second pressed, comes up after this.

With the Beta-Vesion before I had not those issue. Or it was pure accident.

73 de Roland, DK4RH
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
15-09-2020, 10:34 AM,
(15-09-2020, 01:09 AM)dk4rh Wrote: Hi, hanging situation was just ago.
Do not know if it is related to this...
Have downloaded and installed the Beta Version 10am UTC (2020-09-14).
Still here Callsign Online-DB HamCall is active.

Think related to Beta a little bit other symtoms. RST both stayed before on 599, yet on 0. And Mode was before RTTY, yet FT8.

Not tested before, idea came up just jet. Have deactivated in QSO-Window the UDP-Connection. Those gone correctly from green to red. Than tried to activate - it stay red. Only the buttom stay for one second pressed, comes up after this.

With the Beta-Vesion before I had not those issue. Or it was pure accident.

73 de Roland, DK4RH

I had the hanging situation this morning as well. This was with Internet off so not related to any online database. It seemed to be the UDP link was the problem. I deactivated it but it would not reactivate. This is with JTDX, I have not tested with WSJTx. 

The only other information I can provide is that when the hanging started there already was a callsign in Add QSOs window from a QSO in progress. When I logged QSO from JTDX, Swisslog did not save it. I tried to manually save with F10 but got error message 'Callsign Input required' or something similar. So I cancelled the QSO in Swisslog but then found that the UDP link was not transferring anything from JTDX and I got the hanging. That was when I deactivated UDP only to find it would not reactivate. This was on a new session with both Swisslog and JTDX just started and after 2 successful QSOs. 

Yesterday I operated for about one hour with no problems at all and the new beta looked very good.
15-09-2020, 01:43 PM,
An additional finding, which could be helpful (or not).

Have deactivated online search and watched with ressource manager of Windows 10 IP-Connection.
With new callsign in WSJT-X Swisslog connect two instances, even online-search is deactivated:

192.185.64.127:443 witch seems to belong to google.com (don't know what Swisslog try, but it is a known server)
217.224.162.180:8000  (seems not to be a normal server. Doing a trace with wireshark shows port is currently not reachable).

Hopefully it is programmed that Swisslog should open those connection. And not that other unwanted code came in ?!

73 de Roland, DK4RH

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
15-09-2020, 09:43 PM,
Hi Roland,

I'm surprised of all these issues.. I'm using this version in my old i7 1st generation with no issues at all. I hope you can find otjer traces to try to find this strange issue

The Google.com is performed by Swisslog from time to time to check you really have internet connection. This is the best method to ensure you really have access on internet.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
15-09-2020, 11:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-09-2020, 09:36 AM by dk4rh.)
Hi Jordi,

I have currently no issues with found connections of those IP-Adresses. Only it makes my wonder.

Connection to google.com I understand.

Connection to 192.168.0.70 I don't understand. I found out, that those is an dial-up IP-Adress from Deutsche Telekom.

See also https://db-ip.com/217.224.162.180

I know in theoretical base those kind of function in 'unwanted features of addin' (also known as trojaner or virus). Those have long time no effect, try to reach in background steady an IP-dress and becomes active if those will be reached (and get about those connection additional orders).

Hope that not such a 'unwanted feature' is integrated in Swisslog. Those can be happen e.g. by integration of subroutines from other.

Means the 'bad boy' is not the programmer (here you), instead of this the guy who created the additional feature set.

Have tested here with the normal SwisLog version 5.100d - those try also to open the IP-Connection. And also with complete deactivated UDP, Online Callsign-Search.

Think you should also see those kind of request. In Windows only open Start / Ressource Monitor, selecting tab Network and activate SwisslV5.exe

Hoping, that it is not that what I'm afraid of

In the meantime I will block those IP-Address in my fritz-box

... addendum:
Have investigated a little bit more by tracing and think has nothing to do with 'unwanted feature'.
SwissLog do a DNS-Request for db0spc.ath.cx and get here those IP-Adress 217.224.162.180.
db0spc seams do be a part of DX-Cluster. As least sometimes, if online.

73 Roland
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
16-09-2020, 07:22 PM,
I have investigated a little bit more.
It seems to be hard-coded that for DX-Cluster db0spc.ath.cx with port 8000 is used.

Of course the IP-Adress behind it is a dialup IP-Adress sometimes a connection can be possible, with whoever is using those dialup.

Could the URL can be changeable ?
Have seen that the DX-Cluster view can be activated in SwissLog with (German: Optionen -> Mit Packet Programm verbinden and there chosing DX-Telnet). But it is not possible there to see or change the URL / Port.

What I have done for testing here: Have changed the DNS-Answer for IP-Adress to dxfun.com (IP-Adress 144.76.158.174) by an entry in my windows hosts file:
144.76.158.174 db0spc.ath.cx #IP-Adress of dxfun.com (for DX-Cluster SwissLog)

It is too early to say, that the hanging-issue do not exist any more withthis. Until now it is running whitout, but it should run more days...
Maybe those has nothing to do with this. But make URL changeable makes sense (in my opinion).

73 de Roland, DK4RH
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
16-09-2020, 09:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-09-2020, 09:38 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Roland,

Don't use the DX-Telnet option included in "Connect to packet program". This option is only intended to be used to connect to external packet programs used years ago to connect to packet via radio. DX-Telnet it's an obsolete program nowadays and Swisslog implements a very complete Telnet function where you can connect to any Telnet server you like via internet. You can edit any entry for any of the existing Telnet servers in the Available servers, tab as well as adding the Telnet server you like.

Please read the Setup a DX Cluster Telnet server connection to receive DX spots in the Getting Started with Swisslog chapter in the Swisslog help:

http://www.swisslogforwindows.com/englis...isslog.htm

Please read carefully the chapter Internet and Telnet in the Swisslog help (specially the Telnet and IRC Support) to know much more in detail this complete function. You don't need, to change the windows host file at all! If you want to connect to DX Fun Telnet server, simply add it in the Telnet server list and configure it to connect to it. Or select another Telnet server from the list. 

You are doing very complicated things and probably creating issues when Swisslog already offers a very complete Telnet function and it's not hard coded at all. 

Jordi, EA3GCV
16-09-2020, 10:03 PM,
Hi Jordi,

thanks - THAT was where I was searching for. Have studied the chapter of DX-Cluster and no hint to this. But never came to the idea to read the basics ;-)

There I can also find in my configuration that those not working host db0spc.ath.cx is selected and I am able to choose here another one.

Also clear the IP access. SwissLog read DX-Cluster messages, also if the window is not open to view those messages.

Thanks and sorry for confusion!

I think I have never worked with those before (or have forgotten). If DB0SPC-7 is a kind of pre-selection ... for other users who read this ... make sense to have a look on it and select another one.

73 de Roland, DK4RH
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland
22-09-2020, 08:42 PM,
Hopefully final from my site:

since I had deactivated DX-Cluster messages (not one host selected Terminal control) I had no hangs any more. Those for a view days.

Had only sporadic activated a (working) host for testing. But currently I do not use those feature, so I let the status in no activated host.

73 Roland, DK4RH
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland