Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
03-05-2020, 11:39 PM,
RE: Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
Hi Jordi,
I didn't see earlier that you guys already had discussions about Swisslog slowing down and shutting down with high cluster spot inflow.
I didn't get an answer to my last message probably because of the weekend. Usually you are very prompt. I hope you are healthy and doing well. This Corona virus pandemic is a horrible thing that hit us all.
I have checked into many logging programs in the past and after spending almost a week exclusively studying Swisslog I started to like the concept and the utilities that you integrated into the program. In particular interfacing it with CWSkimmer is excellent. I liked that I can see on the map where my signal is going to and when the picture of my fellow ham from QRZ would pop up on my screen, it made the hobby more personal. I would have started to use it despite my own starter problems. But slowing and shutting down the program with increased spot cluster activity seems to be a real limiting factor making it impossible to use Swisslog on days with high cluster traffic. Weekends are always busy and this is the time when most of us are on the air.
I am enclosing my last email that I sent to you on Friday. If there is anything I could help let me know and if you have a solution to it.
73, Alex AK1MD

Hi Jordi,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have followed your recommendations and added exceptions for Swisslog and any other ham programs I am using to my antivirus soft ware. I don't have a fire wall installed on my computer.
I am using the latest version of Swisslog. 5.99g
I discontinued in Connect to Packet Program everything and removed SV2AGW . Initially as instructed I was reading your manual and one of the options was Packet trafficking. I had no experience in it and wanted to try it out. Spent a lot of time and exchanged many emails with SV2AGW, but was never sure what was going on and which part was working. Well now it's off. Waisted another $50.
Last night few contests were on. I use N1MM for contesting and it works great. I am using Telnet and receive spots and I have WintelnetX from K1TTT where I have several clusters connected like W1VD, W3LPL, K1TTT, W1NR and my local CWSkimmer. They all feed through WintelnetX into my N1MM. Unfortunately CWSkimmer is not interfaced like in your program so I have to use copy/paste when a spot shows up on my Skimmer before it comes up from one of the clusters.
I don't use your program for contesting. Last night I turned it on after I made all the corrections that you suggested because I wanted to look up the ITU number of one of the stations in Europe.
Unfortunately to my disappointment Swisslog was not doing well. WintelnetX was off. N1MM was off. I used your Telnet Control window and connected Swisslog to W1VE. There were many spots coming from W1VE. There are many stations on the air on a busy weekend. It was very soon evident that Swisslog was overwhelmed with the W1VE input. The windows would flicker, and I could not move any of the windows. Swisslog would shut down. It looks that the DX Message window in Swisslog is eating up all the energy of Swisslog to be able to function. Please understand I am not a programmer and I cannot explain it to you in a programmer language what is happening, but it is obvious. When I disconnect Telnet server in Swisslog everything works well. Also, I had 4 Band windows open to be able to see what is the activity on each band. When under Band/Mode Selection I choose All Swisslog would go down even faster. If I click on any of the other options in Band/Mode Selection only few spots on each band would show up, while my Skimmer would have more spots at the same time. Another thing that I don't understand.
I don't know if there is a solution to all of this?
Thank you for your help.
73, Alex

Messages In This Thread
RE: Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity - by AK1MD - 03-05-2020, 11:39 PM