Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up Swisslog and WSJT-X for communication with IC7300
19-07-2019, 10:00 AM,
Setting up Swisslog and WSJT-X for communication with IC7300
Hello everybody. I have struggled for more than one year now with how to set up WSJT-X and Swisslog so that both programmes can access my Icom IC7300. The Icom USB codec in my case has assigned COM8.

My computer is a Windows 7 laptop, 64 bits operating system.

Jordi has suggested I use Omnirig, but I cannot make both SL and WSJT-X talk to the radio simultaneously. There is something in the setup (possibly in OmniRig) that I fail to understand.

I have also tried com0com, but same there, no success. 

And yesterday I tried Eterlogic VSPE, http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html, but no success there either. (I tried to split COM8, creating a new COM , in my case COM1), and then WSJT-X connected to COM1, but Swisslog refused, and vice versa).

I tried, at a friends station, to use the server provided with his Microham Microkeyer II, and that worked flawlessly, but as I have no microkeyer myself, that doesn't help me. 

So, does anyone have a setup instruction for dummies (like me), that actually works, to get communication between IC7300, Swisslog and WSJT-x simultaneously?

73 de Tom OH6VDA/JW6VDA/LA6VDA
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
19-07-2019, 04:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-07-2019, 04:08 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Setting up Swisslog and WSJT-X for communication with IC7300
Hello Tom,

You should not have any problems using OmniRig with your IC-7300. I know many Swisslog users here having the same radio and using OmniRig, WSJT and Swisslog. It's important that if you run Swisslog as administrator, so also have to run WSJT-X and OmniRig as administrator as well. 

Set this in Settings > Radio in WSJT-X:

- Rig= Omnirig 1
 - PTT Method = CAT
 - Mode = Data-Pkt (instead of USB)
 - Split Operation = Fake it

In your radio it's important you have the following settings into the CI-V section:

CI-V Baud Rate  = 19200 
CI-V ADDRES = 94H 
CIV Transceive  = OFF   
CI-V USB->REMOTE Transceive Address = 00H 
CI-V Output (for ANT) = OFF 
CI-V USB PORT = Link to [REMOTE]   
CI-V USB BAUD RATE  = 115200
CI-V USB  Echo Back = ON
USB SERIAL FUNCTION  = CI-V

In OmniRig you have to select this as Rig1:

Rig type: IC-7300-DATA
Port:  (the one created by the USB driver, in your case COM8)
Baud rate: 19200 (must match with the same Baud Rate setting defined in your radio menu)
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
RTS: Low
DTR: Low
Poll int. ms 500
Timeout ms 4000

If you create a split with VSPE it should work also but may interfere because the IC-7300 uses PTT via CAT. I suggest to create the splt with 9600 bauds (not 19200). According to my own experience I have had many problems using 19200.

If you still have problems I'm offering to perform a remote session via Teamviewer to review all your setup, but I have configured many times the IC-7300 to many users succesfully. Please send me a whatsapp message to my phone +34 656409020 to arrange a remote session.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
19-07-2019, 06:32 PM,
Thanks for putting me on the right track, Jordi.
Your settings worked, almost, but not completely.
WSJT-X  settings: as you suggested.

On the radio, this works:
CI-V baudrate = Auto
CI-V address: 94h
CI-V Tranceive = ON
CI-V -> Remote tranceive address =94h
CI-V Output (for ANT) = OFF
CI-V USB Port = Unlink from (Remote)
CI-V USB Echo Back = ON
USB Serial Function = CI-V

The OmniRig settings: As you suggested.

Now, the thing that I never understood, but it seems to do the trick:
In Swisslog Tranceiver Interface, I also chose OmniRig Rig 1. Rig 2 will not connect.

Som com0com is not necessary and has been uninstalled, same as VSPE.

Anyway, for the first time since I bought my IC7300 and started using WSJT-X, both Swisslog and WSJT-X "sees" the tranceiver frequency!

So I am one happy customer, as long as this works. Of course, the discrepancy between your settings and mine, i will look into them, if you feel that there are essential faults in my settings, I will try your settings out, one at a time.

73 de Tom OH6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

19-07-2019, 07:44 PM,
After my last post, I discovered that when the radio starts a tx period in WSJT-X, the rx filter changes from the default FIL1 (BW 3.6K) to FIL2 (with 500Hz BW). Also, the mode reported by Swisslog is RTTY, not USB-D or USB. This is not a wanted effect, and I wonder what causes it. I will now start changing the parameters of the radio, one at the time to see the effect.  CI-V USB Port = Link to remote causes WSJT-X to crash. 
Changing CI-V Baudrate from Auto to  19200 had no apparent effect.

I changed the CI-V -> Remote Tranceive Address to 00h, and it changed nothing.

I changed the Mode on WSJT-X to USB. The filter still changes from FIL1 to FIL2 on tx.

Any hints would be much appreciated.
 I´ve sent you a message on WhatsApp. I don't think this can be resolved with teamViewer, though.

73 de Tom OH6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

19-07-2019, 08:43 PM,
(19-07-2019, 07:44 PM)JW6VDA Wrote: After my last post, I discovered that when the radio starts a tx period in WSJT-X, the rx filter changes from the default FIL1 (BW 3.6K) to FIL2 (with 500Hz BW). Also, the mode reported by Swisslog is RTTY, not USB-D or USB. This is not a wanted effect, and I wonder what causes it. I will now start changing the parameters of the radio, one at the time to see the effect.  CI-V USB Port = Link to remote causes WSJT-X to crash. 
Changing CI-V Baudrate from Auto to  19200 had no apparent effect.

I changed the CI-V -> Remote Tranceive Address to 00h, and it changed nothing.

I changed the Mode on WSJT-X to USB. The filter still changes from FIL1 to FIL2 on tx.

Any hints would be much appreciated.
 I´ve sent you a message on WhatsApp. I don't think this can be resolved with teamViewer, though.

73 de Tom OH6VDA

Check the Mode setting on the radio tab in wsjtx. If it not set to 'None' try that setting and that should stop the software sending commands to Omnirig. If it is already set to None, let us know.

Erik.
19-07-2019, 11:01 PM,
Hello,

Finally I connected remotely to his computer and I configured everything with OmniRig. The only issue he has now is that when transmitting the filter used on the radio is changed. I guess is something related to the radio settings because there is no setting for this in WSJT-X. Any clues?

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
20-07-2019, 03:33 PM,
(19-07-2019, 11:01 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello,

Finally I connected remotely to his computer and I configured everything with OmniRig. The only issue he has now is that when transmitting the filter used on the radio is changed. I guess is something related to the radio settings because there is no setting for this in WSJT-X. Any clues?

Best 73

See above - mode = NONE in wsjtx, (mode = USB-D of course in the 7300 but that should be getting set automatically). Works fine here with Omnirig. If the problem persists, you can allow FIL2 but set its bandwidth to 3kHz - achieves the same solution (it does for me anyway)

Erik.
20-07-2019, 08:05 PM,
Thank you Erik, it's the solution I proposed to Tom and seems its working fine now!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
21-07-2019, 10:55 AM,
Thanks all. Works great now. I have to check if setting mode = None in WSJT-X makes the radio keep FIL1. Anyway, I can live with FIL2 set to as wide as possible, now that I've finally mastered the art of adjusting the BW. Smile

LA6VDA 1989-2001.