Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swisslog, WSJT-X and JTAlert
26-09-2018, 08:13 PM,
RE: Swisslog, WSJT-X and JTAlert
Hello, Jordi, and thanks for answer. It seems like a lot of work to make a MyQTH for each operator, specially when this field is exported from and set in the settings of WSJT-x and imported directly via the UDP port. I really hope this can be done without defining MyQTH for each operator. We are talking about 20-30 different callsigns here!

Also, there is the question of importing all our previous qsos from N1MM+ and other software. As of today, the number of electronically logged qsos is 63302. These would have to be reimported to a new database to be able to keep also the OPERATOR data. The present mode of import skips dupes, so unless there is a way to update the data with OPERATOR, I see no other option.

73 de Tom 6VDA
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
26-09-2018, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-09-2018, 11:37 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Tom,

I understand what you mean. But I have to keep a logic and consistence of how Swisslog is designed. All info regarding the callsign, QTH etc used in the QSO is set in MyQTH table. You associate a MyQTH (the same as a Working Condition and Event) to every QSO. So the right place to add the Operator Callsing is in the MyQTH details. In this way will be in 5.98c. When you import QSOs you have to select the MyQTH, working conditions and Event to be assigned to every imported QSO. It's a very good way to keep all your QSOs classified and ready to handle in logbook views, export, statistic etc. Because you can get a statistic report for a certain MyQTH. You only have to create a MYQTH for every operator only once. It's very easy to select the MYQTH when this operator works from the club station. Maybe you won't like but it's the way Swisslog works and it offers the most flexible option to fit all user needs (clubs, multioperator and single stations). It's a different way compared to N1MM but in Swisslog I the only and logical place to add this field is in the MyQTH settings. After creating a MyQTH for every operator, it's really simple to select the MyQTH to work QSOs and you have all control to even know DXCC statistics for every operator. You won't find this feature in other logging program the same way as Swisslog handle all this thanks to the relation between the Logbook table (QSO data) and the MyQTH table.

Regarding dupes, when you import data into Swisslog, dupes are handled in the selected MyQTH. Dupes means the exact date, time, band and mode. So no worry about finding a dupe even if the same QSO has been worked by other operator at the same time because it's assigned to a different MyQTH. 

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
27-09-2018, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-09-2018, 08:48 AM by JW6VDA.)
Again, Thanks for your quick response. I will eagerly await the next version then. As I mentioned earlier, The total number of QSOs in the log is 63 302, but at the moment the OH2K database has 20 800 entries. I will wait with the import of the remaining 42 502 until the next version.

I also have the database for OF2K, the callsign used for the club during Finland's 100 year aniversary year 2017, and I suppose I'll just have to re-import the 3341 qsos in that database.

In N1MM+, the operator callsign is implemented through the operator profile, using the quick meny Ctrl-O to enter it. It is exported as a piece of information for each individual qso. Would such a quick menu command be an option for SL?

73 de Tom 6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

27-09-2018, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-09-2018, 10:31 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Tom,

The quickest method to change the profile is by clicking the MyQTH drop-down field in the My QTH tab then select the appropiated MyQTH. There is no shortcut to do this because you have to select the desired My QTH from the list. You have to create a different My QTH for every operator. The main callsign will be the same (club callsign) in all MyQTH but the operator Callsign will be the difference.

Swisslog offers lot of info of the QSO partner when you enter a callsign: membership, realtime logging, automatic fill out of station info from Callbook databases such as Name, QTH, Locator, even IOTA or QSL manager if you are QRZ subscriber, statistic info for many statistics etc. You won't find this features in N1MM because is a contest software. The decision of using N1MM or Swisslog is up to you depending the preferred operating mode:

- Like a contest, just enter callsign then save not worrying about other QSO data such Name, QTH, QTH locator, etc
- Or you prefer to have as most info as possible saved for every callsign, have full control on statistics for every operator and link your digital modes programs to your main log without having to export/import QSOs from other software (such WSJT-X, N1MM etc). This will save you lot of time. Also you will have better control on your club QSOs to know different operator statistics, etc.

Now you know all pros and conts of every software. New version will have the option to set the operator Callsign in the MyQTh profile to be used for clubs. You will have to decide which software is most suitable to your preferred method of operation in your club: contest or full featured logging software.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
27-09-2018, 12:37 PM,
Well, I've been with Swisslog since the early nineties, thirty-something years, I will personally stick with it, and probably implement it at my club too. As far as contesting is concerned, there is allways a team (I don't do single op), so then I don't have the final say. That's why I'm preoccupied with the importing fascilities of Swisslog.

I wish I was better at understanding relational databases, but I really do appreciate the fantastic job you and your team do with Swisslog.

Going to Aaland the last weekend of this month with OH2GEK to fix some antennas and get a new callsign, (OH0T) activated, and getting the station ready for the Scandinavian Activity Contest. Only SSB and CW this time, maybe we'll see you in the pileup?

73 de Tom 6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

01-10-2018, 08:21 PM,
Just to finalise this thread, one question. Will you implement the <OPERATOR> in 5.98c?
If so, is there a way to reimport the qsos from my big N1MM+ ADIF file with all the qso to merge it into the existing database for OH2K (and similarly for OF2K), or is the only solution to delete all QSOs and then re-import the whole shebang?

73 de Tom OH6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

02-10-2018, 12:16 AM,
Hi Tom,

Yes it will be implemented! The first thing you will have to do is to create the corresponding MyQTH for every operator (main call will be the same). If you know the dates of operation of every operator, your can assign the right MyQTH by using a logbook view having the MyQTH field (i.e. Logbook with DXCC, Zones and My QTH) filter QSOs by the dates of operation of every operator in the logbook view then edit the MyQTH field in all the selected QSO then assigning the corresponding MyQTH of the selected operator (please read Multiple QSO Update in the Swisslog contents). You will have to repeat this operation for every operator. This is a good and easy way if you know the exact dates of operation.

If you don't know the exact dates of operation of every operator, keep in mind that in order to import an ADIF file and assign QSOs properly to the right MyQTH, first you will have to split your big ADIF by the different OPERATOR fields. This can be done easily by using ADIF MASTER (http://www.dxshell.com/adif-master.html). This way you will have as many ADIF files as different Operators. Afterwards you will have import every file and assign the corresponding MyQTH.

Now you will have to choose the best method for you.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
02-10-2018, 06:11 AM,
Good morning, Jordi.

I assume then that the answer to my question about the need to delete all qsos in the database before re-importing them is YES?

Splitting up the "master ADIF" is easy enough, and creating a MYQTH for all operator callsigns is feasible. I haven't made a count, but I think the number is close to 20. But knowing the exact day of operation for every operator is impossible, as they overlap, and we frequently have more than one operator in the same date, e.g. in contests or on club nights. We used to be equipped with 4 independent operating posistions, and logging being done contest-like, in a network environment.  I will not bring up the networking capability of Swisslog on this occasion, though, and concentrate on getting the master log transferred to Swisslog in an orderly manner.

Have a nice day, and thanks for the enourmous job you're doing with Swisslog!

73 de Tom 6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

02-10-2018, 09:02 AM,
Good morning Tom,

Then as for your explanation the best way is to delete all your QSOs and import again but previously splitting the ADIF into different files according every operator.

If you have any doubts don't hesitate to contact me.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
08-11-2018, 08:48 AM,
I have encountered a problem when importing an ADIF file (e.g. from WSJT-X, JTAlert-X or N1MM+ with the <OPERATOR> field in it. It seems that the operator callsign (e.g. JW6VDA) has overwritten the operator name of the partner station, see the attached screenshot. (I doubt that K3MRK's name is JW6VDA). This must be unintended, and I will stop importing until this is fixed. Hopefully this is not a big matter.

73 de Tom 6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.