Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300?
01-08-2018, 12:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 12:33 AM by EA3GCV.)
RE: How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300?
Hello Tom,

You can't share a COM port unless you use VSPE or similar (Virtual Serial Port Emulator). This program creates a virtual COM port from the real COM port and can be shared up to 4 applications at once.

That's the reason I recommend using OmniRig. OmniRig takes control on the radio and send CAT info to compatible applications such as Swisslog, WSJT-X, MixW, etc.

To avoid problems and according my experience, you have to follow this guideline (in this order) :

- If you use Windows Vista or higher you have to force OmniRig to run as administrator. Go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Afreet\OmniRig (Program Files in 32 bits operating systems), mouse right click on the EXE file, Properties - Compatibility then check the Run always as administrator option. If you don't do this, because OmniRig is installed in the Program Files folder (which is protected by the OS) and the installer doesn't offer a way to install it in other folder, you will probably have problems to communicate with other programs. In fact, I suggest to do this in all your ham radio applications (including Swisslog and WSJT-X). You will save lots of headaches!
- This is very important! Add an exception to OmniRig, Swisslog and WSJT-X (and all programs using OmniRig) in your antivirus and firewall (both!). Many antivirus/firewall usually block the internal communication between OmniRig and other applications. Doing this you ensure they don't interfere the regular and expected operation.
- In OmniRig setup, use the same settings you used that worked with Swisslog connecting your radio directly to the COM port (same baud rate, start and stop bits). Set RTS and DTR Low! Try first to make working OmnIrig with WSJT-X to make sure everything is OK.
- If you use the latest INI file for IC-7300, Swisslog won't read the frequency. This will be solved in 5.98. However, I have uploaded a modified 5.97k version supporting the latest INI for the IC-7300:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/BetaUTC.zip

Unzip and replace both files in the Swisslg folder. Now you will read the frequency if using OmniRig and latest INI. If using the original INI including in the OmniRig setup, it should work with current 5.97k.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300? - by EA3GCV - 01-08-2018, 12:30 AM