Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300?
09-06-2018, 06:43 PM,
How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300?
I cannot make the radio talk to Swisslog. I need more help than what the manual offers, it seems...
I have installed the USB drivers, and it seems to emulate com 4, but from there on it is full sop.

73 de Tom
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
09-06-2018, 07:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: How to set up SWL to communicate with IC7300?
Hello Tom,

I highly suggest you to use OmniRig as TRX option in Swisslog, this way you could share rig control with other applicattions at once (WSJT-X, MixW, Cw skimmer, etc) with no COM port conflicts. Further more, you can configure 2 radios in OmniRig and you can switch from one radio to another with a simple click in the transceiver toolbar.

If you still want to configure your IC-7300 directly in Swisslog, you have to make sure to set a fixed baud rate in your Icom menu options (avoid the automatic option, i.e. 19200). Also make sure the IC-V transceiver option in your radio menu is OFF and USB serial function is set to CI-V. Set same baud rate in Swisslog. If your Icom is on transmission after setting up your radio,  you will have to disable RTS line in the COM port parameters. Start bit 8, stop bit 1 and parity none.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
31-07-2018, 02:42 PM,
(09-06-2018, 07:39 PM)Hi Jordi. Wrote: I tried installing Omnirig as you sugested, but I suppose because I'm no computer geek, I was not able to make it work. I have solved the problem with IC7300 talking to Swisslog though.

These days I am working portable from the summer QTH in western Finland, and a lot of the time FT8. For that I use WSJT-X 1.9.1, and JTAlert-X. Because the USB driver only emulates one COM port (for me it's COM4), it is not possible to make IC7300 talk to both Swisslog and WSJT-X simultaneously. Thus I have to import the QSOs into Swisslog after each FT8 session.  If I understand you correctly it should be possible using OmniRig. Could you (or anyone with a similar rig) give me a hint on the setup?

73 de Tom OH6VDA

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

01-08-2018, 12:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 12:33 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Tom,

You can't share a COM port unless you use VSPE or similar (Virtual Serial Port Emulator). This program creates a virtual COM port from the real COM port and can be shared up to 4 applications at once.

That's the reason I recommend using OmniRig. OmniRig takes control on the radio and send CAT info to compatible applications such as Swisslog, WSJT-X, MixW, etc.

To avoid problems and according my experience, you have to follow this guideline (in this order) :

- If you use Windows Vista or higher you have to force OmniRig to run as administrator. Go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Afreet\OmniRig (Program Files in 32 bits operating systems), mouse right click on the EXE file, Properties - Compatibility then check the Run always as administrator option. If you don't do this, because OmniRig is installed in the Program Files folder (which is protected by the OS) and the installer doesn't offer a way to install it in other folder, you will probably have problems to communicate with other programs. In fact, I suggest to do this in all your ham radio applications (including Swisslog and WSJT-X). You will save lots of headaches!
- This is very important! Add an exception to OmniRig, Swisslog and WSJT-X (and all programs using OmniRig) in your antivirus and firewall (both!). Many antivirus/firewall usually block the internal communication between OmniRig and other applications. Doing this you ensure they don't interfere the regular and expected operation.
- In OmniRig setup, use the same settings you used that worked with Swisslog connecting your radio directly to the COM port (same baud rate, start and stop bits). Set RTS and DTR Low! Try first to make working OmnIrig with WSJT-X to make sure everything is OK.
- If you use the latest INI file for IC-7300, Swisslog won't read the frequency. This will be solved in 5.98. However, I have uploaded a modified 5.97k version supporting the latest INI for the IC-7300:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/BetaUTC.zip

Unzip and replace both files in the Swisslg folder. Now you will read the frequency if using OmniRig and latest INI. If using the original INI including in the OmniRig setup, it should work with current 5.97k.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
01-08-2018, 11:31 AM,
Thanks a lot, Jordi. I will check this as soon as I get my computer up and running again. I'm on holiday, and the computer broke down this morning, probably a hardware fault. Of course this happens when one is in the countryside! As soon as I am up and running again, I will inform you of the progress.

73 from hot Vaasa.

LA6VDA 1989-2001.