Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DX Messages window slow.
20-03-2017, 06:52 PM,
RE: DX Messages window slow.
Hello again,

After talking with the web masters of the DEE award, the link to update the DEE references is working again. No need to change the code. It's working again.

I don't recommend the use of the "Read Dx Spots From Internet" function. It reads from HTML pages provided by DX-Summit but this is very inefficient. Much of CPU power is needed to scan the pages and the same spot must be read several times because they come in batches of 25. That's the reason Swisslog seem frozen unless you use a very powerful CPU. It's an old method implemented to read DX messages and the use of Telnet servers is the best method. Walter changed the method to read from Dx summit in version 6 by using the CQDX IRC channel which has a direct live feed of all Dx spots from Dx Summit. I will try to restore this method in the future.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
21-03-2017, 01:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017, 01:49 PM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

Many thanks for this information. I now have the DX Cluster Messages window working as it did before.

Can I be a REAL nuisance and ask you one more question. The last issue I have with SWL is that sometimes (more often than not) it completely refuses to shut down. Even using Task Manager and trying to close it, it will not shut down. This has been bugging me now for several weeks. The only way I can shut it down, is to restart the PC !! Which is a real nuisance. I am running Windows 10 64 bit with an Intel i7 CPU and plenty of free hard drive space. I'm running the latest version of SWL(5.95) which I reinstalled (due to the problems with the DX Messages window) but this didn't cure the shut down issues.

Would you have any thoughts on this - SWL is installed in the root directory of the C drive. And was installed with Admin Privileges.

*Edit* and yes - DEE updates are now working fine again !!

Thank you.

73 de Richard G4UGB
21-03-2017, 09:07 PM,
Hello Jordi,

I have traced this issue of SWL locking up intermittently. It is something to do with the antenna rotor interface. When I disconnect the ERC-mini interface box (USB end to the PC) SWL closes down as normal. Maybe a clash of allocated USB ports on the PC perhaps.

I thus need to investigate this issue further. Big Grin

Regards,

Richard G4UGB
21-03-2017, 09:16 PM,
Hello Richard,

I also use an USB rotor interface (made by EA4TX) and I don't have any problems shutting down Swisslog. I will check in the code but I think there is already a routine to stop and free up the rotor interface just before the action to close Swisslog.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
22-03-2017, 01:02 AM,
Hello Richard,

I have checked the code and effectively the rotor interface was freeded before closing Swisslog.

Please do the following: Before closing Swisslog go to Options / Rotor-Interface and press the STOP button. Close this window then close Swisslog. Let me know if this solve your issue.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
24-03-2017, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017, 01:58 PM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

Thank you again for your reply.

Sometimes - SWL will exit and shut down as normal with no problems with the rotator interface connected. But the problem is of course that once locked out (after an attempted shut down) I cannot get to the menus !! So it seems that the rotator interface disconnect code is working correctly sometimes. But I will monitor it.

It is perhaps that the associated COM Port gets disconnected and SWL cannot find it - but then - as soon as I disconnected the ERC mini USB connector to the PC - SWL instantly closes down.

So it is strange one !! But I will re-check the COM port settings and see if I can trace the problem.

*EDIT* Forgot to add - once SWL locks out - it cannot be shut down until the PC is restarted. Task Manager won't close it down. Which is also strange.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Richard G4UGB
25-03-2017, 05:19 PM,
Hello Richard,

I have made a chnage in 5.96 so that Swisslog first stop the rotator interface and afterwards free up the module. Test it when I release this weekend the new version. I hope it will work well now.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
27-03-2017, 02:38 PM,
Hello Jordi,

Many thanks again. I have had a busy weekend with no radio possible - but I have this morning downloaded and installed version SWL 5.96 so will try it over the next few days and let you know !!!

Thank you yet again for all your help.

73 de Richard G4UGB