Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
v5.8 crashes
06-12-2014, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 06:38 PM by JW6VDA.)
v5.8 crashes
I run v 5.8 in a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo mobile laptop, Vista Professional, and after installing the new country files and running the script to update the database, it says the script ran OK. But when closing Swisslog, there is an error message saying Swisslog has stopped working. Apparently the update does not take effect, because I do not get the Antarctic option when trying to update my qso with RI1ANT.

Can you give a hint on what to do?

73's de Tom
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
06-12-2014, 11:41 PM,
RE: v5.8 crashes
Hello Tom,

If you have downloaded the one informed by Erik EI4FK (which is available in the Fulvio website and it will be the new official country table), if you haven't installed Swisslog with administrator rights at the beginning maybe you have a real bundle. Because you have replaced manually these files in folders where Swisslog really is not working. So that's the reason why it's necessary to install Swisslog with administrator rights in Vista and higher.

I really suggest you to wait for the release of version 5.9 because automatically will perfom everything. If you didn't installed Swisslog with administrator rights my advice is:

- When Swisslog v5.9 will be released copy your Swisslog database (SWLOG_V5.MDB) in a safe place (another hard disk, pen drive..) and your personal report files suc QSL formats, etc.
- Fully uninstall Swisslog from your computer, restart and manually delete the remaining files and folders.
- It's also highly recommended to disable UAC in your operating system. Google "UAC disable Windows Vista" to know how to do it.
- After performing all this, start new Swisslog installation following the above instructions. The new installer will inform you on this at the first screen.
- After installation is finished, replace your Swisslog database in the Swisslog folder where Swisslog v5.9 has been installed (overwriting the existing one), and run Swisslog.

Everything should run fine and all corrections applied automatically in your database.

Best 73 and stay tuned here
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
07-12-2014, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM by JW6VDA.)
That is probably correct. But should I not also store the different database files for my different operations? (E.g. JW6VDA.MDB and LA6VDA.MDB). I have not made any personal statistics, but I have uploaded to LOTW, and that has been working fine with TQSL 2.0.

I very much feel like uninstalling right now, and then reinstall v 5.8 as you mentioned, but if the next version is right around the corner, I can of course wait....

But since Swisslog is apparently running in a hidden directory, how can I be sure everything is deleted properly? (I can for exaple not find the folder DBsave, but it is somewhere, full of saved database files!) Smile

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

07-12-2014, 02:37 PM,
Hello Tom,

You have to make a backup of ALL your Swisslog databases. You are the right person who knows what they are! ;-) After a new installation you will only have to open every database manually.

When you install Swisslog without administrator rights, even if you have installed Swisslog in C:\Program Files\Swisslog, really Swisslog is working in another folder!! so you change files in C:\Program Files\Swisslog and simply don't work because it's really working in another folder. That's the main reason why Swisslog NEEDS to be installed with administrator rights. In fact this advice is valid to install ALL software in Vista or higher to avoid many problems. It's a very extended Windows trick.

Make a test: search in your hard disk for all your MDB files. Then you will also find the real folder where Swisslog is working and you can compare which MDB is the current one to make a manual backup. You can also perform the backup from the File | Save.. option. But I really recommend you to place this backup in an external device. Make always double backups in different places. Your data are very important!! if some backup fails you are losing everything!

If you decide to uninstall now and make a clean v5.8 install from scratch to fix all things it's ok. This way when you install version 5.9 (following the same instructions, run it as administrator) it will update your Swisslog installation with no problems. Otherwise, wait until version 5.9 and then perform this operations.

Summin up: just remember to first disable UAC for your operating system (Google it!), restart and run as administrator. Theoretically when you disable UAC you don't need to manual run as a administrator. However it's better to do it to make sure that is really installed as administrator.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
07-12-2014, 04:18 PM,
(07-12-2014, 02:37 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Tom,

You have to make a backup of ALL your Swisslog databases. You are the right person who knows what they are! ;-) After a new installation you will only have to open every database manually.

When you install Swisslog without administrator rights, even if you have installed Swisslog in C:\Program Files\Swisslog, really Swisslog is working in another folder!! so you change files in C:\Program Files\Swisslog and simply don't work because it's really working in another folder. That's the main reason why Swisslog NEEDS to be installed with administrator rights. In fact this advice is valid to install ALL software in Vista or higher to avoid many problems. It's a very extended Windows trick.

Make a test: search in your hard disk for all your MDB files. Then you will also find the real folder where Swisslog is working and you can compare which MDB is the current one to make a manual backup. You can also perform the backup from the File | Save.. option. But I really recommend you to place this backup in an external device. Make always double backups in different places. Your data are very important!! if some backup fails you are losing everything!

If you decide to uninstall now and make a clean v5.8 install from scratch to fix all things it's ok. This way when you install version 5.9 (following the same instructions, run it as administrator) it will update your Swisslog installation with no problems. Otherwise, wait until version 5.9 and then perform this operations.

Summin up: just remember to first disable UAC for your operating system (Google it!), restart and run as administrator. Theoretically when you disable UAC you don't need to manual run as a administrator. However it's better to do it to make sure that is really installed as administrator.

Best 73

OK, I have done that, and it seems to work fine. Even the uploading to LOTW works fine, except that it seems that the one qso I am interested in correcting, RI1ANT on Mirny base, Antarcica is now registered correctly in Swisslog, but is not updated in LOTW. But that is an issue at arrl.org, I think. I suppose I can fool the system by changing the time of the qso by a minute, but at the moment I will wait for an input from the lotw helpdesk. 

73, and looking forward to 5.9 and the new version 6!

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

09-12-2014, 06:33 PM,
Hello Tom,

I'm glad to hear that! I told you that it's important to install Swisslog that way otherwise there will be thousand issues.

Regarding version 6 this version will never be released. Version 6 source code is not working and I can't solve this. Version 6 was never released officially and it has a lot of bugs which I can't solve unfortunately. So I'm focused in version 5 which is stable and you will see new 5.9 has a lot of new interesting and current things and lot of changes. When get version 5.9 please read the introduction in the help because I'm explaining the current situation of Swisslog.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
10-12-2014, 11:31 AM,
(06-12-2014, 06:36 PM)JW6VDA Wrote: I run v 5.8 in a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo mobile laptop, Vista Professional, and after installing the new country files and running the script to update the database, it says the script ran OK. But when closing Swisslog, there is an error message saying Swisslog has stopped working. Apparently the update does not take effect, because I do not get the Antarctic option when trying to update my qso with RI1ANT.

Can you give a hint on what to do?

73's de Tom

Separate running the script from updating the table. If you replace the country table in the DB folder with the updated one, Swisslog should still work fine and you will see RI1ANT show as Antarctica. If this is not true please inform me so I can see if there is a Table problem. It was tested on several users before release and no-one had any problems.

Neither should the script cause any trouble either but I defer to Jordi on that one.