Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S-Meter CAT COM IC-7610 5.108 Beta Jan+Feb-24
28-02-2024, 05:48 PM,
S-Meter CAT COM IC-7610 5.108 Beta Jan+Feb-24
Hi Jordi,

thanks a lot for your effort you invest in this great program.

my SWISSLOG app runs on a Linux Fedora Core 39 in a wine environment.

I was running version 5.107 with no problems at all. After trying the Beta 5.108 from Jan-24 I figured out that the S-Meter didn't work anymore. I decided to wait
for the next release or the next Beta before posting my findings. today I tested your Beta released yesterday on 27-Feb-24 with the same issue.
I started a little bit of investigation and figured out, if I select under Options tab the Transceiver Interface of my ICOM Rig, connected via USB to COM1: (no fl- or omnirig)
and then press the tab COM Monitor and Command Tester i see the command strings and the S-Meter works. if i press Selection tab the S-Meter stops working.

for sure it's just a minor problem, but perhaps you have a idea what could be the problem or you can apply fix it in a future release. I don't think it's a Linux wine issue.

thank's a lot in advance

73 de Eric
28-02-2024, 11:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-02-2024, 11:22 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: S-Meter CAT COM IC-7610 5.108 Beta Jan+Feb-24
Hi Eric,

S-Meter function has always worked with ICOM since I implemented this function. I don't know why you are having this issue. I have an IC-756Pro3 and works perfectly. I have also tested with an IC-9700 and works as well with latest beta. All ICOMs works the same way for S-Meter.

In order to make sure the S-Meter function works, you have to select ICOM as transceiver control function. Check the "Start automatically" checkbox. I also suggest to check the "Show TX Status on toolbar". As explained in the Transceiver control chapter in the Swislsog help, turn ON the CI-V Transceive option in your radio menu. Then set 0 and the field "Time between two TX QRG queries in 1/10 seconds). This enables radio to send all changes automatically and disables polling from Swisslog to read mode and frequency, releasing a lot the COM port traffic. The S-Meter values are always polled to get it from the radio (as you have already seen in the COM Monitor window).

If after doing this is still not working I guess it's a Wine issue because under Windows works perfectly. Make sure you add exceptions in your antivirus to the Swisslog folder and also add and exception to the SwisslV5.exe file in your firewall to allow all outgoing/incoming traffic for all kind of networks.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
29-02-2024, 11:01 PM,
Hi Jordi

thanks a lot for your answer. Your recommendation to switch CI-V transceive to on on the rig and disable polling the rig from Swisslog by setting the TX QRG queries to 0 (was 5 before) made my S-meter working and I also see the tx power now. I read the online docs many time, but didn't get this 2 params in relation with the S-Meter polling issue, because it worked in version 5.107. 
A minor side effect from not polling the rig would be, if commands are stored to change the frequency of the rig on 1 of the 8 buttons in the transceiver interface, the new frequency wouldn't be displayed in the transceiver interface window because the rig isn't polled anymore, but that's for sure not a problem.

thanks for your great support

73 de Erich
01-03-2024, 12:57 PM,
Hi Erich,

Theoretically, when the CI-V transceiver is ON, the transceiver is sending the frequency or mode when it's changed. So if you set a new frequency with the buttons in the transceiver window, radio should send this parameter. However you can apply a low polling (let's say 10 which is 1 second). Although the CI-V transceive is ON Swisslog will poll the transcevier every second. The key here is not having a lot of traffic in the COM port to avoid issues.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
10-03-2024, 07:43 PM,
Hi Jordi,

thanks for your answer, tried your suggestion, but didn't get it running. as soon I set the TX QRG queries > 0, the communication between Swisslog and the rig was blocked. Over the weekend I was experimenting with omnirig and flrig also WSJT-X.

Now everything runs perfect also the logging from WSJT-X to Swisslog works perfect. also the Swisslog eye candy S-meter Smile  .

my current config -> Fedora FC39 with the following MS apps running on the Wine compatibility layer Swisslog 5.108beta, WSJT-x 2.6.1 and flrig 2.0.05

73 de Erich
11-03-2024, 02:14 PM,
Hi Erich,

FLRIG sends the S-Meter info but OmniRig doesn't. There are many possibilities to configure CAT control to fit your needs. It's something user has to try with the different options. Swisslog supports nearly all current CAT programs and configurations. It's a matter of finding the best option for you. Having CI-V Transceive ON and setting 5 or 10 as polling (TX QRG queries..) should work perfectly as well.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV