Swisslog's Forum
Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - Printable Version

+- Swisslog's Forum (https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Swisslog version 5.x (https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 (/showthread.php?tid=100)

Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - in3ikf - 02-11-2013

Dear OMs, hello Big Grin to all !!
name here is Beppe, callsign is IN3IKF.
I'm a new user of this forum.... I found it last week, I was searching for help with SWL.
I am a proud registered user of SWL 4.4, but have some (big) difficults in updating the log with the new DXCC countries.
But now, discovering the version 5, I could think that the countries are already updated...

My first question: I have 11.000 qso, some qsls and labels for qsl, and sone other things. So, what files should I save to have these saved and ready also in the 5-version?

Other questions.... later.

Thanks to all for any help You will give me.

73s de Beppe - in3ikf

RE: Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - in3ikf - 03-11-2013

Hello all again,
I tried to install SWL 5 in a new computer, so the old version will stay intact and untouched.

I reached many targets:

- Heart my log is ok and all qsos are here
- Heart I imported the qsl-labels too!
- Heart All columns are ok, included qsl managers and iota.

On the FIRST pic You will see the only one problem: the award infos... all statistics are now using other fields, and the previous infos has been lost??? !!! Huh

Can anybody help me about this prblem? Idea

Have a good sunday Rolleyes

73s de Beppe - in3ikf

UPDATE of the problems:

Where is the country Bosnia-Herzegovina on __YOUR__ log?
See please the SECOND pic Big Grin

B. - in3ikf

RE: Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - EA3GCV - 03-11-2013

Hello Beppe:

I think you have a real bundle in your version 4 database.... the DOK info has been always entered in the same field (P_SUB_REGION).

My advise to update from version 4 to version 5 is to make a clean install. First of all perform the following steps (preferably in a USB drive):

- Save any personal reports or QSL
- Save your logbook SWLOG.MDB

- Now fully uninstall version 4 from Add / Remove programs from the Windows Control Panel.

- Restart Windows and manually delete any remaining Swisslog folder in your local hard disk.

- Now download the following files from the download section of the website:

- Full original version 5.2 http://www.spanish.icap.ch/Ficheros/SWL4WV52.EXE
- Swisslog patch updater 5.8 http://www.swisslogforwindows.com/spanish/Swisslog_Patch_Updater.htm Read first the documentation. At the end you will find the link to the updater.

- Install the full version and afterwards the May updater to version 5.8. Please note that if you are using any operating sytem later than Windows XP you MUST install Swisslog with administrator rights. That is right click over each installer and select Run with administrator rights.

- Make sure you install Swisslog in c:\Program Files\Swisslog (or C:\Program Files (x86) in 64bits OS).

- After installing Swisslog, restore your reports and QSL to the corresponding folder in C:\Program Files\Swisslog\Reports

- Restore you v4 database SWLOG.MDB to C:\Program Files\Swisslog\DB and manually delete the SWLOG_V5.MDB

- Run Swisslog and go to File | Open logbook-DB. Select the SWLOG.MDB. The conversion process will start and the new database will be SWLOG_V5.MDB

- Register your Swisslog copy. Go to Help | About | Register. Enter your callsign and press Add Registration. You now have Swisslog fully registered. Make sure you will see in the title Windows "Swisslog for Windows 5.8 licensed to: yourcallsign"

Now you should use Swisslog normally. Please read the documentation because there have been many changes. Most important is about the My QTH which now all your MyQTH are splitted and MyQTH (different callsigns and locations), Working Conditions (rig/antennas used) and Events / Contest). Rename and assign the correct names for each condition.

In your particular case you have award info in different fields which have to be moved to the correct ones. Send me your converted database to: ea3gcv@castelldefels.net (ZIP or RAR compressed) and I will move the references which are not assigned properly to the right fields). Tell me which awards are you using in Swisslog.

Best 73

Hello Jordi,

You wrote:

> I think you have a real bundle in your version 4 database....
> the DOK info has been always entered in the same field
> (P_SUB_REGION).

Huh ??? Huh

> My advise to update from version 4 to version 5 is to make a clean
(....)
> - Now fully uninstall version 4 from Add / Remove programs from the
> Windows Control Panel.

Uninstall isn't necessary Wink

This computer is old, and months ago I bought a new one, so I yesterday installed SWL 5 on the new comp from new, and now I have SWL 4 in the OLD one, and SWL 5 in the NEW comp Cool

(....)

> - Now download the following files from the download section of the website:
> - Full original version 5.2

I directly downloaded the version 5.8

> - Swisslog patch updater 5.8

Not yet, I have to read all first...

(....)

> Please note that if you are using any operating sytem later
> than Windows XP you MUST install Swisslog with administrator rights.

XP rulez, here! XP overall!

> - Make sure you install Swisslog in c:\Program Files\Swisslog (or C:\Program Files (x86) in 64bits OS).

And why not c:\programs ?

- After installing Swisslog, restore your reports and QSL to the corresponding folder in C:\Program Files\Swisslog\Reports

OK, done

- Restore you v4 database SWLOG.MDB to C:\Program Files\Swisslog\DB and manually delete the SWLOG_V5.MDB

ok, done

- Run Swisslog and go to File | Open logbook-DB. Select the SWLOG.MDB. The conversion process will start and the new database will be SWLOG_V5.MDB

ok, done

- Register your Swisslog copy.

ok, done. Later, but done.

Now you should use Swisslog normally.

Dodgy

> In your particular case you have award info in different fields which have
> to be moved to the correct ones. Send me your converted database to:
> ea3gcv@castelldefels.net (ZIP or RAR compressed) and I will move the
> references which are not assigned properly to the right fields). Tell me
> which awards are you using in Swisslog.

Ok, i will do today.

Tell me please if there some infos has been cancelled (the requester), if too, I will generate a new "SWLOG_V5.MDB".

And, what about the curious position of the E7-Country in the free ocean ? Huh

Thanks for all, Jordi, if You visit the Ham Radio in Germany, I will offer You a BIG beer !!!

RE: Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - EA3GCV - 03-11-2013

Hi again:

It's absolutely necessary to apply the patch updater because it updates many things! the DXCC table, map layers and other interesting things! so that's the reason E7 is on the ocean etc.

So download and apply the patch updater now.

I have received your Swisslog database. Please alllow me sometime to make changes.

You can install Swisslog in any folder. It's just a matter of suggestion but it works in any folder.

Best 73

Hello Jordi

You wrote:

> It's absolutely necessary to apply the patch updater because it
> updates many things! the DXCC table, map layers and other interesting
> things! so that's the reason E7 is on the ocean etc.

> So download and apply the patch updater now.

Ok, I'm doing it.

> I have received your Swisslog database. Please alllow me sometime
> to make changes.

Keep the necessary time. No Hurry. And thanks in advance.

73s de Beppe - in3ikf

RE: Updating SWL 4.4 to 5.8 - in3ikf - 05-11-2013

Hello Jordi !!!!

I received the file, and all is good, now !! Angel

and E7 is back in Europe Smile

Thanks for the help!

I will send You other questions in the next days... but the important thing is done: all is ok!!!!!

Bye

Beppe - in3ikf